1.31.2008

Running Away to Join the Circus....

Last night my other half and I ventured out to the beautiful Hippodrome Theater downtown to see "Cirque Dreams." Let's just say I am a HUGE fan of Cirque du Soleil, so much so that when we were planning our wedding, I was pushing for a cirque theme. I lost that battle when my husband said, "I'm trying to get married, not go to a carnival." But I digress. I love the artistry of the shows, the colors, costumes, textures, lighting, music, make up and masks. And I love the stories that cirque builds the show around. I always leave feeling inspired to be creative. I envy the costume and mask designers- that has to be the best job in the world. To my disappointment I figured out about half way through that "Cirque Dreams" is in no way affiliated with "Cirque du Soleil." First tip off, all the English speaking. Second, no band. Third, pretty bad vocalist. All right, voice wise she wasn't that bad, but the song lyrics were really bad and she was singing something just about every 10 mins throughout the 2 hour show. Annoying after the 3rd song. As I was reading the play bill trying to figure out what was going on, I saw that Cirque Dreams was started in Florida in the 80's....hmmmm...... Needless to say, the acrobats, jugglers, balancers and contortionists were right on par with "Soleil's," so we did quite enjoy ourselves. But there is nothing like sitting under that crazy stripped tent when Cirque du Soleil comes to town...

No comments: