6.14.2007

Something old, something new.....


I was inspired to write about plastic grocery bags today after making an appearance on the evening news yesterday- anybody catch me, anybody? I was walking out of the grocery store after getting my lunch, when approached by a t.v. crew and asked which I preferred, "paper or plastic," and what I did with them "after there intial use?" I replied , "I take both, when I get paper, I use it to hold recycle cardboard with, and are you sure you want to know about the plastic?" The reporter with her 3 inches of makeup and hot pink jacket nodded ever so enthusiastically. "ummm, I use the plastic to pick up my dogs poop with." Anybody catch it on the 6 o'clock news? Maybe they edited it out......
Anyhow, I found this artist who makes jewelry and cool light fixtures from plastic grocery bags. Much nicer use then mine! There is a brief article about her work on Treehugger.com.
Searching some more, I found these cool bags by Conserve, they are made from recycled plastic bags and actually look like leather. You can order one through Hip & Zen, a website that promotes green shopping, sustainability, and fair trade. These earrings from Tomate D'epingles aren't made from plastic bags, but they are made from old fabric and I love them all the same! Her work can be found on Mintd and Etsy.

No comments: